March 7, 2011
I went to the temple this morning, and we did sealings. It reminded me of going with Grandma and Grandpa to do family names and it was really cool. I love going every week.
This week was the first where it was a real roller coaster. I had some really hard days and some not-so-hard days, but in the end they were all still good days. It's really really hard teaching in all Chinese. Every time we teach our investigators understand less and less English, which means it is that much harder for us to understand their needs and to share what we know with them in a way that will help them learn the truth of our message. Some days I would walk out of teaching appointments almost crying because I felt like I had failed my investigator. I know that it is the Spirit that teaches, but it is still so frustrating to want to tell them so much about the gospel and the happiness it brings and to only be able to tell them a fraction of that in Chinese so they can understand it. We are teaching two investigators now- Li DiXiong and Lin DiXiong. Lin is progressing more quickly, he is very close with his wife and children even though he is living away from them for work. He loves the idea of eternal families and that the gospel can bless his home now. Li seems like he is distracted, he says he will read and pray but he doesn't keep all of his commitments and even though he seems interested he is having trouble fully dedicating himself to learning for himself that the gospel is true. I pray for them every day and I just keep trying to learn the words I need to know to teach the lessons and I am just learning that after that I have to leave it in the hands of the Lord and He will bless them to feel the Spirit and know it is true.
Even though there are some trying moments, there are also some hilarious ones. Almost every single day this week we would laugh like crazy in our district for about 10 minutes, to the point that people are wheezing and squeaking and none of us can breathe. We are known throughout the zone as the district that has fun. Not that we don't work hard, but that we all get along so well and can turn sad times into something to laugh about when the only other option is to cry. Elder Baker is by far the funniest elder here. He makes us laugh so much and it is super cathartic to release some of that stress. I feel so blessed to have such a great district. We do almost everything together- we always walk to meals together and try to sit by each other, we always go together to do things like get the mail or go to service hours. My tongban is so great, and I am coming to love and appreciate her so much more, even though I am still struggling to get used to the loss of independence that comes with being a missionary.
I love being here at the MTC. (One of our speakers pointed out that to people who have never heard of it it sounds like we are staying in an empty sea.) I love the Spirit that is here and I love how real our teaching moments are and the way we can feel the Spirit in our studies, our class time, our teaching appointments, in our susha (residence), at the firesides and devotionals and even just in the gym or the cafeteria. I am so excited to continue learning Chinese and having these teaching experiences so that when I get to Taiwan I can be the best prepared I can be to serve the Lord's children there and to share with them my testimony of the gospel and the wonderful blessing it is to each and every one of us. I love my Heavenly Father and my Savior Jesus Christ, and I cannot wait to help others come to know and love Them as well. I love all of you and I'm so grateful for all of your love and support and prayers! They mean the world to me!
Jiayou!
Wo ai nimen!
-Sister Smith
This week was the first where it was a real roller coaster. I had some really hard days and some not-so-hard days, but in the end they were all still good days. It's really really hard teaching in all Chinese. Every time we teach our investigators understand less and less English, which means it is that much harder for us to understand their needs and to share what we know with them in a way that will help them learn the truth of our message. Some days I would walk out of teaching appointments almost crying because I felt like I had failed my investigator. I know that it is the Spirit that teaches, but it is still so frustrating to want to tell them so much about the gospel and the happiness it brings and to only be able to tell them a fraction of that in Chinese so they can understand it. We are teaching two investigators now- Li DiXiong and Lin DiXiong. Lin is progressing more quickly, he is very close with his wife and children even though he is living away from them for work. He loves the idea of eternal families and that the gospel can bless his home now. Li seems like he is distracted, he says he will read and pray but he doesn't keep all of his commitments and even though he seems interested he is having trouble fully dedicating himself to learning for himself that the gospel is true. I pray for them every day and I just keep trying to learn the words I need to know to teach the lessons and I am just learning that after that I have to leave it in the hands of the Lord and He will bless them to feel the Spirit and know it is true.
Even though there are some trying moments, there are also some hilarious ones. Almost every single day this week we would laugh like crazy in our district for about 10 minutes, to the point that people are wheezing and squeaking and none of us can breathe. We are known throughout the zone as the district that has fun. Not that we don't work hard, but that we all get along so well and can turn sad times into something to laugh about when the only other option is to cry. Elder Baker is by far the funniest elder here. He makes us laugh so much and it is super cathartic to release some of that stress. I feel so blessed to have such a great district. We do almost everything together- we always walk to meals together and try to sit by each other, we always go together to do things like get the mail or go to service hours. My tongban is so great, and I am coming to love and appreciate her so much more, even though I am still struggling to get used to the loss of independence that comes with being a missionary.
I love being here at the MTC. (One of our speakers pointed out that to people who have never heard of it it sounds like we are staying in an empty sea.) I love the Spirit that is here and I love how real our teaching moments are and the way we can feel the Spirit in our studies, our class time, our teaching appointments, in our susha (residence), at the firesides and devotionals and even just in the gym or the cafeteria. I am so excited to continue learning Chinese and having these teaching experiences so that when I get to Taiwan I can be the best prepared I can be to serve the Lord's children there and to share with them my testimony of the gospel and the wonderful blessing it is to each and every one of us. I love my Heavenly Father and my Savior Jesus Christ, and I cannot wait to help others come to know and love Them as well. I love all of you and I'm so grateful for all of your love and support and prayers! They mean the world to me!
Jiayou!
Wo ai nimen!
-Sister Smith

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home