Monday, February 28, 2011

February 28, 2011

This week was less stressful and more stressful in different ways than last week was. I am loving the language, and although I feel like I can't say hardly anything that I want to, I realize every day that I can say a whole lot considering I started learning it 11 days ago. This morning my roommates told me I woke them up at 5 am with a full-voiced prayer in Chinese. I have no recollection of it but apparently I retain a lot in my subconscious. Every time it seems like class is too hard or things don't make sense, our teacher, Qian Laoshi, bears his testimony that this curriculum is inspired, this is God's way for us to learn the language and when we remember that we are less discouraged and we can get things a lot easier.

I had a really neat spiritual experience the other day when we were teaching a new progressing investigator. We told him a little bit about who we are and what we were doing there, and we shared with him about Heavenly Father and taught him to pray. When he prayed at the end of the lesson I was completely overwhelmed and I broke down into tears. I felt for really the first time since being here what it would be like to teach a real investigator. When he prayed I thought, this is the first time he has spoken to his Father in Heaven, and I could feel how happy He was to hear from his child, and how excited He was that this child was coming to know Him for the first time. I could really truly feel what it is like to see the way God loves His children and what a blessing it is for me to get to experience that and see that take place in other people's lives.

I am loving my companion, the sisters in my district and the other sisters that live in our room. Our district is getting so close and we do so much together. I also really love our whole zone, there are some really great, sweet sisters and all of the elders are really nice and really fun. We had President Monson's daughter come teach our Relief Society yesterday, and she told us some cool things about him. It was really cool to see into what he is like when he is at home with his family. At the fireside last night we heard from a mission dept. director and he talked a lot about some of the turbulence that we may feel while we are at the MTC and out in the field, and what some of the best ways are to handle that turbulence. What I got out of it most is just to trust the Lord, this is His work, He knows what He's doing and He knows us and what we need and what we can handle. The speaker said that when trials come not as a consequence to sin then they are because the Lord knows that we are prepared to grow. I just need to remember that and remember that I can handle anything because as long as I am following the Lord He will be right by my side to help me through it.


To answer some more questions, I've seen Elder Hanson almost every day. I've seen Leslie Christensen and at the TRC on Saturday Tyler Riffle was one of the investigators. He served in Taichung too. I am happy and focused, and I love you all and I'm praying for you too. My Chinese prayers are short but my personal prayers are long heart-to-hearts with my Heavenly Father and it's amazing how much He says back. The time is flashing, I gotta go!


Love,
Sister Smith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home